Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Sounds of silence

Just sat in the forest and listened to the sounds. At first the forest seemed full of sounds, many many sounds just surrounding me. But as I closed my eyes and concentrated, all the sounds basically boiled down to two groups of crickets. One group shrill, the other a notch or two deeper. Because there were so many of them, it seemed the forest was full of sounds. Then as I listened, i heard a third sound, a distant faint hooping sound. Maybe it was a bird. It tweeted, hooped and was gone. I opened my eyes and saw a tiny lizard slither among the dry leaves. I also saw a few tiny flowers gently swaying, fluttering, and just below a tiny bee darting around, but i heard no sound. Does that mean that they made no sound at all, or did it mean that the crickets just drowned their sound?

1 comment:

pooja ratnakar said...

wonder if you have read the piece i wrote, Music of Nature.

A little fragment of wind breaks off from the ocean and pulses around the stamens, hitting the leaves and the petals of the flowers, like drumsticks hitting the cymbals. While the bees strum the points of the beautiful corollas. Wind and water gurgle and vibrate through the hollows of every grain of sand and stone, all together making such a perfect song !! What a grand euphonious orchestra ! But not one note for us mortals..