Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Essense of appreciating beauty

Let me ask you a question. Have you ever thought of what really constitutes beauty?, or more specifically, appreciation of beauty?. On its own beauty is meaningless. Its power comes from the effect it has on you. I recall once going to this wonderful garden tended by this really old man. The garden was this really huge sprawling space filled with incredible sights and smells. Orchids, carnations, roses, daisies, many tropical plants and ferns, huge trees.... it was almost too much to take in. So I walked over to the old man as he sat pruning a rose bed and asked him.

"Is there a spot from where I can really take all this in? I mean, is there some place from where I can, you know, maybe see the whole garden and , you know, maybe get the real essence of all this fantastic stuff that you have done?

He looked up, slowly, locked his rheumatic eyes with mine.

"You really want that?"

"Yeah, absolutely"

So he slowly got up on his feet, reached out for his cane and shuffled ahead.

"Follow me", he said over his shoulder.

We walked past all the beautiful flowers to an isolated corner. It had nothing but a single potted plant in the center with a chair beside it.

"Sit here on this chair and focus on this flower, admire it, see it, smell it, touch it.... and when you are done just whistle. I will take this flower away and fetch you another. The only way to get to the essence of all this beauty around you is to take it one flower at a time."

3 comments:

pooja ratnakar said...

simply beautiful and touching...

reading your blog has been like experiencing beauty..

Ankit Ashok said...

seconded.
Are/were you a philosophy student or something?

Pathfinder said...

Ankit
Nope, i am not. I guess I am just old enough to be one without having studied for it.
:-)