Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Essense of being found

There is this little Bar close to where I used to work and often in the evening I would go across with some friends and sit back and chill. It is a lovely place, relaxed, great music, great decor, but for me what made the place special was this young bartender. He was the life of the bar, always ready with a smile, always remembered what you liked to drink, knew exactly when to come over and chat and when to leave you alone. He had been there for a long long time and I often wondered what he was doing in this little place. He was clearly too good for this bar, he could choose any of those upmarket drinking holes where he would have made much much more money that he did here. But day after day, month after month he was always there. The same place, the same smile. What added to his aura was this intriguing talk that once he was just like one of the regular customers. And much like me he liked to come in the evening and unwind. It is said that he had this lovely companion most of the time, an upcoming model. Then something happened and one day he asked the manager if he could move behind the bar. Good for us, really, but still why not move on?

One day I was alone so I chose to sit at the bar nursing a drink and he came over to chat. I couldn't let the chance go so I shamelessly asked him what kept him here. He continued to polish a glass, looked around as if making up his mind, then he turned towards me and said.

"When I was a little boy my mom used to take me to the park. And she used to always tell me, listen son, if we ever lose each other don't you go around looking for me. Just stay where you are so that I can find you."

1 comment:

pooja ratnakar said...

recently I read a quote by Mirabai, " The Energy that holds up mountains is the energy I bow down to."